Thursday, August 21, 2008

last days of summer....

Our summer is coming to a slow end. Other than chores, shopping, dr visits and errands, we haven't been doing anything out of the ordinary--just life together the easy way. I've sewing, making my own bread and yogurt for a few weeks now, and we harvested lots of cantaloupe and watermelon from our garden, so many we had to give several away. We've also been getting many tomatoes, the perfect amount for our needs. I made spaghetti sauce the other night with fresh garden tomatoes--yum! The best ever!

I put together a month menu for the first time in my life, and shopped for the exact groceries I needed, and I've been sticking to it. I've been cooking real breakfasts and dinners every day. It is so nice to look at the menu on the fridge and not fret about what to make and what ingredients I don't have--it's all there and I don't have to think about it. I have been making foods from scratch--(mostly) and improving my cooking skills a lot--the kids actually eat thier food! Yeah!

Rebekah is heading off the school for the first time, and of all our kids, she wins the gold medal for enthusiasm to attend school. The day she was to meet her teacher and see her class, she filled her pink backpack and wore it all morning.

We're getting a new road put in, and as a result, they cut out our old gutters and curbs and driveway entrance and installed new ones--no more cracks!!! They also lessened the slope on the edge and I think I might be able to maneuver it now with the riding mower without risk of tipping over. I wish I'd thought to put everybodies hand prints in the drying cement! Oh well! Thats pretty much all that's been going on around here lately.

No comments: